Now it is Hereen Street (Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock), during Dutch control they called it Hereenstraat. According to history, Dutch Malakka (1641–1825) was the longest period that Malacca was under foreign control. On Hereenstraat, also known as ‘First Class Gentleman Street’ in Dutch . This was because the town was segregated by class on that time. Some of these era houses have been converted in to hotels like Hotel Puri. Also private museum like Baba Nyonya Heritage Museum.
A grant has been awarded to carry out restoration of Dutch era shop houses located at No.8 Hereen street by the US Department of State’s Ambassador Fund for Cultural Preservation. The project is a model to demonstrate to owners of similar properties how such ancient buildings can be restored to high quality and adapted for new uses.