The Frangipani Langkawi Resort…
Last time there were 10 Hotels in Malaysia that have been awarded Asean Green Hotel Award 2010. The hotels are:
-The Andaman Langkawi in Kedah,
-Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa in Kota Kinabalu,
– Mines Wellness Hotel in Selangor,
– Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort in Tuaran,
– Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel,
– Hotel Melia Kuala Lumpur,
– Nexus Resort Karambunai in Sabah,
– Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa in Penang,
– Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur and,
– The Frangipani Langkawi Resort and Spa.
You can read it in the news here.
There are differences between Eco Hotel and Green Hotel. Eco hotel is blend with the environment and it is build with less impact to the environment itself. For example hotel that are build deep in the jungle, caves or in an island. Less impact means that minimal tree cutting and the used of traditional craftsmanship. No bulldozer or concrete or piling.
Borneo Spa, Nexus Resort Karambunai
But for green hotel, it’s a modern hotel that build in non natural environment like in the city. It has all the amenities that you can think a hotel should have. The green status are practices of the hotels that inline with the environmental friendly criteria like:
* Housekeeping uses non-toxic cleaning agents and laundry detergent
* 100% organic cotton sheets, towels and mattresses
* Non-smoking environment
* Renewable energy sources like solar or wind energy
* Bulk organic soap and amenities instead of individual packages to reduce waste
* Guest room and hotel lobby recycling bins
* Towel and sheet re-use (guests can tell housekeeping to leave these slightly used items to reduce water consumption)
* Energy-efficient lighting
* On-site transportation with green vehicles
* Serve organic and local-grown food
* Non-disposable dishes
* Offers a fresh-air exchange system
* Graywater recycling, which is the reuse of kitchen, bath and laundry water for garden and landscaping
* Newspaper recycling program
More readings about the criteria here. Hmm….. Do you ever check-in in one of these Green Hotel?
Other Interesting posts: